intro

intro

Sunday, August 24, 2014

Jenny Tries: 5 Ingredient Mac and Cheese

A few weeks ago a friend of mine shared this DIY Buzzfeed article on 3 ingredient recipes and one of them mentioned macaroni and cheese.


And they pointed to this article which kind of shows you how.  It's not loading up for me now, but it basically said use 2 cups milk, 2 cups pasta, and 2 cups cheese.  You simmer the 2 cups milk and 2 cups pasta for about 25 minutes, stirring occasionally. Then you stir in the cheese.  

I tried it and it was okay.  Not my favorite. I didn't know what temperature to keep my stove on and I ended up ruining the dish and spent the rest of the evening scraping out my pot and eating the cheesy burnt remnants.

Then I tried this article and it was much much better. I used a bit more cheese than what they call for in the recipe. What really sells it is the cayenne pepper and the mustard in the recipe. Also keeping the stove on low until the milk is more of a creamy sauce and stirring constantly instead of walking away from the dish on accident and checking Twitter helped immensely. I "healthed" it up with whole grain rotini, fat free cheese, and skim milk. Actually, skim milk is in this recipe. That's how I found it. 

There was a weird blackish milk skin at the bottom of my pan as I finished the dish that I had to get rid of.  I have no idea why that was there or why the recipe blog did not cover that.  Did I do something wrong?

Anyway, let's hear it for recipe bloggers who marry their best friends and create recipes for four that me and my husband split in one sitting.  Oh my goodness. 



No comments:

Post a Comment