intro

intro

Sunday, February 9, 2014

I Am Not Quirky

My best friends tell me I look like Zooey Deschanel.

I tell them, "Thank you," but I absolutely think they are blind.
















Zooey Deschanel looks like this:

Source

And I look like this:

Hmm, bad example.



I have bangs and aqua eyes, but there is a huge difference. I mainly look like any other overweight white girl with bangs and aqua eyes who tries to look like Zooey Deschanel.

So I have decided I'm growing out my bangs.  You know, despite the fact I've lived most of my life wearing bangs:

Age 3


Age 5

Age 14

Because I want people to see my amazing, flawlessly arched eyebrows.  Because I'm super, super vain.  And because my forehead probably looks amazing after all these years of being hidden from the sun.

Another thing my best friends tell me is that they watch New Girl because I remind them of Jess.


And that would be OK if, say, the whole world hadn't risen in outcry when the show New Girl started and exclaimed how much of an annoying jerk Jessica Day was the first few episodes.  Later on in the series it is revealed that she is highly intelligent with a masters degree in education who is highly invested in the well-being of others, but all anyone seems to reference are her goofy antics in the pilot episode.

Maybe that is why my friends say I remind them so much of Jessica Day. I, too, am capable of goofy antics like dancing in line at the supermarket or pulling a hilarious face. However, I am also misunderstood. If you get past caricatures of myself, I am 31. I've worked in purchasing for almost 9 years. I go to school at night and on weekends. I want to volunteer to help animals, the elderly, and the disabled, but I haven't done so yet. I'm obsessed with my cat. My husband, who is shy and sweet, is a homebody just like I am. I couldn't craft my way out of a paper bag, but I do like to draw. I'm really good at putting off housework. I'm 62 pounds overweight. I'm prone to anxiety, depression, and manic episodes. I spend most of my time alone with my cat and reading something. And, like the rest of the world with the Internet and a voice, I do a lot of navel-gazing.

I'm not complaining.  I find it odd that I come off as something I'm not to even those closest to me, but the fun of being part of the world is that they probably come off as something they're not as well. The best thing about truly knowing and loving another person is all of the surprises in store. 

So, reader (ugh, I hate when people say "reader"), don't worry if you come off to others in a way you never intended. Those who truly care will stick around for the full story.  And we're just at the beginning of yours.

No comments:

Post a Comment